Genius Hour 2 Reflection

My Genius Hour 2 research and presentation were about the topic of Artificial Intelligence, more specifically the risks and troubles it could cause humanity in the future, as in physical threat or moral controversy etc… I chose this topic because it’s becoming more and more related to today’s world as artificial intelligence keep accomplishing more and more feats, so I thought it’d be interesting to update my classmates on what researchers and scientists think about AI. I learned many things about artificial intelligence and its risks, including but not limited to where and how it originated, and why it could easily annihilate humanity if put into the wrong hands or if its goals diverged from our own, not unlike how a human would destroy an ant if it were to bother it slightly. I would say this research helped me grow as a person because it made me realize just how unpredictable or fatal things we think we control can be, as demonstrated by my research, which suggested that we had absolutely no idea if an extra line of code to today’s artificial intelligence could lead to an explosion of consciousness and lead to our doom. This presentation wasn’t really supposed to help the world,  like the first genius hour, but I believe it helped my classmates grasp the notion of technology risks a bit better. I’m not sure what my next Genius Hour project will be yet, but I strongly believe that I will be able to use the simple act of talking to my classmates and turn it into a large vulgarization of understanding of technology and awareness of risks, but most likely not Artificial Intelligence.

If you want to learn more about Artificial Intelligence, my presentation was almost entirely based on this playlist of AI Ted Talks I found:

click to view playlist

Here’s my whole presentation. Most of the content was said out loud so it doesn’t provide you with much extra information, but my Works Cited is there also if you’re looking for good pictures.

presentation